On May 28, 1878, Uriah and Rebecca Warren deeded one acre of land to the Methodist Episcopal Church. A wooden structure was erected and called Piney Mountain after the mountain located nearby. This long building with a long side porch burned sometime between 1890 and 1908.
The congregation purchased another acre of land from R.P. and Maggie Warren and built another wooden church on the new plot. This church stood 15 years before burning on Easter Sunday, 1923.
A third wooden church was built in 1923, but fire struck again on March 20, 1944. With the country at war, the congregation met in the old Glady Schoolhouse until another church could be built.
With the help of Dr. T.A. Groce, the pastor at the time, the Methodist Conference and the Duke Foundation, the present church was built. The first service was held on October 7, 1945.
The cemetery was expanded and a perpetual cemetery care fund came about in 1976. It continues to oversee and finance the upkeep of the cemetery.
Several remodeling projects, including the kitchen, the multi-purpose room, a fire escape, a front porch and a fellowship hall have been completed in recent years.